The SMAA is active in the USA, Japan, Canada, England, United Arab Emirates, Australia, Ecuador, Germany, Sweden, and other nations. It offers members access to seminars, the SMAA Journal, an e-mail newsletter, a blog, a Facebook page, and a website. Internationally recognized teaching certification is also available to highly qualified individuals.
The SMAA features a number of prominent members. These distinguished martial artists include Suzuki Kunio Sensei, an eighth dan in Nakamura Ryu swordsmanship; Otsuka Yasuyuki Sensei, the current Headmaster of Meifu Shinkage Ryu shuriken-jutsu; Iwasaki Hisashi Sensei, the current Headmaster of Kobori Ryu suiei-jutsu; Ohsaki Jun Sensei, a jujutsu and Kodokan judo expert; Cynthia Hayashi, Aikikai aikido sixth dan; Paul Martin, Japanese sword historian; Dave Lowry, a well-known martial arts writer; Hunter Armstrong, director of the International Hoplology Society (founded by the late Donn Draeger); Richard Yamamoto Sensei, judo expert and Kodokan seventh dan; and Wayne Muromoto, editor of The Classic Budoka blog and a top teacher of Takeuchi Ryu jujutsu.
- Associate Membership: allows you to receive an Associate Member certificate, our quarterly journal, e-mail newsletters, and discounts at SMAA events. Associate members do not receive rank or teaching titles. The annual membership fee at this level is $25.00 (US).
- Full Membership: allows you to receive our quarterly newsletter and discounts at SMAA events. In addition, full members may receive rank certification and teaching titles. The annual membership fee at this level is $30.00 (US).
How to Apply for Associate Membership
To apply for Associate Membership, send the following items to the address listed at left:
- a completed application form (please type or print legibly; leave the section regarding rank blank)
- $25 (US) - payable online at our Payments page (preferred), or by check or money order.
You will receive your Associate Member certificate in the mail. You will also begin receiving our quarterly journal and newsletters.
How to Apply for Full Membership/Rank
To apply for Full Membership and dan ranking, send the following items to the address listed at left:
- a completed application form (please type or print legibly)
- a typed, detailed history of your martial arts background
- copies of any rank certificates you have been awarded by recognized and legitimate associations
- video of you performing the techniques of your martial art (please do not send DVDs. Post the videos on Youtube, Vimeo, or other video sharing platform and provide us with a link)
- $60.00 (US) - check or money order, made out to the Shudokan Martial Arts Association; this non-refundable fee includes your first year's membership dues ($30.00), and the examination fee.
You will receive a letter indicating the results of our experts' review of your application, the costs of rank registration/certificates, etc. An in-person examination may be required, unless we can verify your rank thorough the association that granted it. The submission of your information and the fee for a review of your background does not guarantee that the SMAA will award you any specific rank. Kyu and dan ranking are only for those qualified in traditional Japanese budo and koryu bujutsu.
If your application is approved and rank fees have been paid, your certificate will be mailed. If your request is not approved, you will be contacted, and (in most cases) you will be granted Associate Membership status. You will also begin receiving our quarterly journal and e-mail newsletters. If you qualify for an SMAA teaching license, you can recommend students for SMAA rank, within one grade of yourself. For more information on ranking and teaching titles, see the Dan Ranking and Teaching Titles page.